Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Watercolor Landscapes


Away #1
7x9, watercolor on Canson Moulin du Roy Paper


Away #2
7x9, watercolor on Arches Cold Press Paper

Here are a couple of small watercolor paintings I completed recently. I started out trying to capture a few landscapes that play over and over again in memory. The first painting was taken from a photo and my memory of one of the pastures we wandered as children. I hope to continue that thread in future paintings.

The second painting came as I was exploring the muted earth tones in the series and I saw a photograph taken by friends in Alaska's Denali National Park. The photo of a lone caribou atop a ridge was too good to pass up. Although I altered the color palette and landscape to suit the series, I hope the mood of the photo remains. 


No comments:

Post a Comment