Saturday, August 31, 2013

Sketch: Across the Bay

"Across the Bay"
Charcoal on Paper

Here's a sketch I started a few years ago. I have finally finished it. Inspired by driftwood at the beach or a photo of driftwood, I left it tucked in a stack of sketchbooks until I was in Florida recently and saw a storm across Perdido Bay.  Then, I remembered why I started it at all.

I have many sketches in various states in sketchbooks scattered around my office/studio. Some of them remain unfinished and may always remain that way. I don't mean to leave them unfinished, but it's often hard to come back to something I've long ignored. In some of them I see some value and the spark is renewed, but in others I have let them smolder too long in the dark. I've simply forgotten why I pursued them.

Isn't that like life?



No comments:

Post a Comment